Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Cyberbullying

 Image taken from ua.edu.

When I decided to become the computer teacher last spring, I knew that I had a responsibility to teach students how to become digital citizens.  The technology that students are growing up with today brings with it a new set of issues that parents did not experience in their youth.  I'm talking specifically about cyberbullying.  Students today cannot get away from bullies like they used to--they are followed home from school by way of cell phones, iPads, Facebook, and Twitter.    I will be beginning a series of lessons for all students in grades one through eight about cyberbullying--what it is, what it isn't, what it does, and how to prevent it.  I am using materials adapted from Common Sense Media.  Below are links to .pdf files of the Smart Board lessons I'm using with the students in class.  
Screen Out the Mean--used for first through third grades.
What's Cyberbullying?--used for fourth and fifth grades.
Cyberbullying--used for sixth through eight grades.

No comments:

Post a Comment